Apr 5, 2016

Sometimes you soar with the eagles, other times you crash and burn with green drinks and Thai pizza

(My Note- This is a post from my earlier blog- but it has a good message that I want all cooks to remember- when you set out to stir things up, sometimes they blow!) 

    This week's pizza on the patio was scheduled to be a take on Thai fusion, or at least that was the understanding when I started planning my menu. I did the research, made the grocery lists and faithfully picked up the ingredients. I'd like to take a moment before going on to point out some of my excuses for last night:  It was too cold on the patio, the hubby had just washed the patio, I was off my game, my stars were misaligned. But really, sometimes I can just miss the boat so much that you wished I had taken the plane!  LOL 


The drink combo started off so promising-- take some fruits and veggies that can be found in Thailand:   bananas, mango, avocado, cucumber, and limes, puree them down and add some spice and salt. I told myself that it didn't taste too bad when I put it in the freezer to chill.  At the appropriate pre-dinner moment I added vodka and seltzer, poured it into pretty glasses with a mango slice and some cilantro.  Looks fairly pretty, no?
   Okay, okay - looks like something The Exorcist producers may have been interested in... and sadly, it tasted a bit like that too. :) I like my vodka, but seriously, there is not enough vodka in the land to make these chunks appealing. LOL  * PS- please re-read the aforementioned excuses at this time. Haha.*
   On to the pizza.. yes, I do have to go there.  Sigh.  Seemed like another good idea, definitely one that was going to make waves! I would make shrimp pad thai, grill it up on a thin light pizza crust, add a little salty cheese, bean sprouts, egg strips and peanuts when it comes out of the pizza oven. Viola! Instant compliments!  ( That was the plan!)
Now,  I think that it doesn't look too bad-- the pizza crust was perfectly done, and it smelled nice.  I cut into it and took a big bite.  Uhmm, have you ever lived through the moment when you regretted not tasting the ingredients PRIOR to putting them together and serving them? The noodles were so overdone, think sticky and mushy with some shrimp thrown in for color.  I am adding to my excuse list that while making this pizza, I was valiantly trying to choke down that chunky, green drink you saw before! LOL 
    The family though, ever the champs, gamely ate some of the pizza. (I 'm pretty sure...maybe I should check the plants!) They even tried to throw out a compliment or two  (I love them), but the damage was in plain view on the table. I just had to chalk it up as a big loser.  *Again, at this point I re-direct you to the excuses list! *   :)
        However- the pizza crust was really, really good.  It is from Bobby Flay-http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe.html  And, the mushroom and pepperoni pizzas that are always staples were a hit! So, I am putting these two recipes in the trash (except the dough) and going to try it all over again next week. (No Thai though, going to have to regain a little Thai composure, first!)
     This is all part of cooking- doing it fearlessly, getting it right some days...  and laughing on the days when it goes off the rails.  Just always have some peanut butter and jelly in the house and its all good!
 As Always-
Live Peacefully. Cook Fearlessly

Chris

1 comment: