Jun 9, 2016

It's SMOKIN' !

First off - sorry about the delay- that last college course was a doozy! But it is done now, yeah! Because I was spending so much time on the patio reading coursebooks, and more importantly, just because I wanted to try it... I purchased a smoker. A propane/charcoal one, and she is a beauty. Smoking things is not a skill set that I had- I did a turkey on a whim over charcoal on my regular grill years ago and I remember that is was.. ummm, BAD. Charcoal that was too hot, very little smoke, and generally having not done my homework made Tom Turkey a very unappetizing boy.
     Enter in the new foodie me- the one who like to take a cooking t, and I am a handier person with the smoker. With each new piece of meat and vegetables, I learn a little more about handling the smoker, and the nuances that can be. Elements like the wood chips, dry or wet, the rubs, the injections, the mop sauces, the steaming water pan concoctions- the options are endless! So- for this initial smoking post, I am going to show you some of the things that have come out of my smoker- and a little overview. If you want a blog on how to do it, let me know in the comments and you will see it soon.
     Not a smoke lover?  Well, keep coming back because I didn't stop cooking or baking while getting through that last class. I have lots of food and pictures for new blogs, and I am back to getting them out!
First a picture of my girl, smoking away
plus my outdoor office where I endured the pain of financial management accounting and,
let me read textbooks, write papers, and smoke (meat that is! LOL).
  So - here is what has been on the menu:
SIGNATURE BACON- I took 6 pounds of pork belly, cured and smoked them in three flavors.. hickory simple, apple wood molasses, and garlic rosemary hickory. YUM!

Then on to Memorial day and the FOURTEEN HOUR BRISKET- I would say YUM but this was sooo much better. I think it says something when 13 people eat 11 pounds of brisket!
I couldn't let it sit there- there was still more to explore.. namely STUFFED PORK SIRLOIN ROLL- stuffed with pesto, pepperoni, kale, mozzarella, and roasted red peppers smoked with hickory and mesquite.

The last meal that I smoked, this last Sunday, was MEATLOAF. Yep, I know that face you just made. I made it myself initially, but let me tell you; I have never, never, never had meatloaf to die for and this was to die for. I will never go back to the run of the mill way in the oven. I gave this to two friends who were like "Meatloaf, really never liked it." And they were in heaven, Smoky, delicious meatloaf heaven. (I have the texts to prove it!)
So there you are, thank that last horrible class of mine for making me find relief in the way that I love- cooking! Let me know if any of these ideas excite you and I will post the finer details. And, I want to post the newest addition to the family- came home just this week to replace an older one that we just couldn't prop up anymore.
He and I have talked... and we have lots of good summertime stuff planned- just need to name him!

Well that's all from me- let me know what's is up with you or if you want some specifics.
As always,
Live Peacefully. Cook Fearlessly.

Chris

4 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the bacon (wow!) and the meatloaf! I thought I didn't like meatloaf, but I'm going to be begging for more of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you will get some more trials.. thank you!

      Delete
  2. Ron suggests "Lucius" as a bbq grill name

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it ! Lucius the mean, green, stainless steel grilling machine... its magic- and he made glorious chicken tonight.

    ReplyDelete