Feb 22, 2016

A tale of two Bolognese

My note: This is an older blog that I did a few years ago- but the sauce is still as good as ever. Enjoy!

I always laugh to myself whenever anyone asks me if I am reading any good books.  They are usually talking about fiction- but all I ever seem to want to read anymore is cooking books, not recipe books- but actual cooking technique books.  This last weekend, I was with my daughter looking through a thrift store.  I always gravitate towards the book section, and I stumbled across a great book  "Essentials of Classic Italian cooking"  by Marcella Hazan. Not only was it a technique book- but also about one of my favorite styles of cooking, and a steal at $1.99!  I had already read through the first few chapters before my daughter finished up in the store!
Since I am off work this week, and because it was rainy and a bit chilly... I thought that a great Bolognese sauce and some homemade pasta would be the way to go. I have made Bolognese in the past and got some good reviews,but I thought I would try it the "authentic" way.  After simmering for about 5 hours, and making some fresh egg pasta to go with it- here is the final result that I served tonight.



Well- It was okay... there are a couple of things that I will change.  First off, when I make the mirepoix of celery, carrots, onion, and garlic- I will then puree the raw vegetables and cook them in the oil/butter until they are brown, well cooked and .. brown.  Brown is good and full of flavor. I think that this gives a great underbase to the sauce... it takes a while longer, but is well worth the richer taste in the end.  I did like the addition of milk while cooking the meat (something I had never done before) to minimize any acidity caused by the wine and the tomatoes.


So here is my (right now......cause I am always tinkering) version of Bolognese:

3 tbsp. oil                       1 1/2 c. carrots chopped      
 1 3/4 c. milk                  6 oz tomato paste
3 tbsp. butter                  2 c. celery chopped       
1/4 c. half and half         2 c. water
1 c. onion chopped         1 1/2 lb. hamburger       
2 c. red wine                 2 pinches dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced  
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes      dash salt

( I DID actually measure what I put in today- I usually am an "eyeball-it" type of girl!)

Puree onion, garlic, carrots and celery in food processor until paste like. Saute the mirepoix paste in the oil and butter until browned ( will take 10 mins or more)- stirring frequently. Add the hamburger and turkey- sauté until the hamburger loses its red color - add the milk and half& half, simmer until the milk is all absorbed. Add the wine- simmer until it is reduced. (To this point was close to an hour of time.) Then add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano and salt.  Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to a very slow and lazy simmer... and cook for at least 3 hours, more if you can.  Stir it fairly regularly so it doesn't burn, adding a half cup of water if it gets too dry in order to keep it from burning.  Don't add water too close to when you want to serve the sauce - you want the sauce to be very thick.. think chili consistency. When ready to serve - check seasonings- add salt if needed. You should end up with a rich, rich meat sauce that the family will love.. Just don't forget to make the homemade rolls. I ran out of time tonight and was reminded by my dad that they would have been the cherry topping on this meal.  (Think- note to self- bread is always good!) This made enough sauce for 5 hungry people.


Lets talk briefly about pasta- I recently started making fresh pasta when I have time. I think I may have gotten it!  Tonight,s was smooth and silky with a  good bite.  Took 10 minutes of heavy kneading though.. lets see what tomorrow's shoulders feel like!
LOL.... for now :)



Safety reminder-  ground meat always needs to be cooked to at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit- and you need to be aware of the utensils that touch raw meats and seafood so that they do not touch food that will not get to that temp. Every kitchen should have, use, and calibrate a food thermometer. End of safety tip!  :)

 So- go cook something spectacular- be bold and be fearless! 
As always, live peacefully. Cook fearlessly.

Chris

2/23/16-Recipe cookbook update: Currently I have about half of the cookbook written, and the first draft of the book proposal is undergoing lots of editing! I hope to have a very polished version of the book proposal in the next few weeks. Then I will send it out to a few agents that I really want to work with and.. we shall see what happens! More updates as the book progresses!

No comments:

Post a Comment