Feb 15, 2016

Blast from the Past.... And A DARNED GREAT Roll recipe

And so it Began....

(My Note: Earlier in 2014, I started this blog and put out some great recipes on it- then Blogger decided to delete the account, cause I got busy with Life, and let it slide a bit... you know how that goes.  I am going to put all these together with the current, and rerun some of the better ones, with a little editing! Enjoy!) 
  2014- Today I have been asked to make rolls for a family friend's party.  I have been seriously dabbling in bread making for a couple of years now- and had made rolls for a family reunion that were... in my humble opinion- DARNED GREAT!  Plus I got lots of compliments- which always warms my heart.  So I was up bright and early this morning- making the dough- enough for 80 rolls- plus a little extra so I could experiment with a new taste combination.
Here is the start of the process this morning around 8 am- coffee is just starting to percolate in my bloodstream.  
A few hours later.. the rolls go in and come out of the oven.
 
They smell great!  Hopefully my friend will like them!  And, what about the new trial taste combination, you say?  :) Well, I used a tried and true dough recipe, and added poppy seeds, turmeric (the new super herb that I hear about all over the place), and dried onion.  Here is the before shot and the after.  They were baked in the outdoor pizza oven- more on that later, too!
 

      "DARNED GREAT ROLLS"
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp malt barley  ( you can get this in a health food store, or use brown sugar)
1 tbsp yeast
4 cups flour
1 tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
Dried minced onion, garlic, and rosemary
Egg wash  (1 egg with a tbsp of water beat in with a fork)
1. Mix the malt barley /sugar into the water in a mixing bowl with a dough hook attachment. Add the yeast. Let bloom for 5 minutes.
2. Measure and mix the flour and salt together, adding a few pinches of the minced onion, garlic, and rosemary -add to your tastes.
3. Add the flour/spices to the mixing bowl, start on speed one, adding in the butter right after starting.
4. Knead 10 minutes in the bowl, checking dough for consistency- a little sticky, not a lot. You can add a LITTLE flour or water a bit at a time if you need to.  Turn out into a oiled bowl, cover and let rise.
5. After dough has doubled, turn out on floured surface, and cut into 8-10 pieces, roll each into a ball. Place each on parchment paper and a baking pan/ or on a greased baking pan. Cover and let rise, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile start preheating the oven to 425 degrees.
6. Paint the rolls with egg wash, using a pastry brush and place rolls in the oven. Bake for 10 mins at 425, then reduce temperature to 375 and bake until golden brown, and taps hollow. Let them cool. and enjoy!
2016- this is still a go to recipe for me! 
 A little push for the book.. this was my preferred method of making bread back in 2014. Since then I have developed a innovative method for developing, and baking bread that is crusty, golden brown, and near fail proof.  I am in the process of getting that - and some great recipes featuring it, published. Stay tuned!
And, as always- Live Peacefully. Cook Fearlessly.
Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment